Friday, February 29, 2008

6'10 " Island Style


Size: 6'10" X 19 1/2" X 2 1/2"


This is a glass board shaped by Daniel Thompson under the Island Style label. I'm not sure in what country it was shaped or whare the shaper hails from. I bought it new in Tubes for €400 which is a pretty good price.


The board could be described as a big boy or executive type thruster. It is Polyester/polyurethane traditional style construction. It came with a sanded finish, there are still some scratches where the coarser sandpaper gouged out a furrow which the finer finishing paper didn't clean up. Not too many though. The board was very solidly constructed and felt heavy for it's size. On the other hand after a few months use there was hardly a pressure mark on the deck no dings and not one spider crack. So a definite thumbs up there.


As usual I put in decent glass fins. I mostly rode this board with a John Harris 3dRed tip centre fin. I found that it was a lot more board than I was used to. A bit stiff in the turns due to it's size. Nonetheless it was a very solid predictable ride. The rocker rails and bottom contours seemed just right for the board. I enjoyed this board. I reckon it would just get better the bigger the waves.


Overall a thumbs up for the board, a solid predictable ride if a bit heavy but good value at the price.




Rating: 4/5

3 comments:

Unknown said...

thanks for lending me this board.though i found it took a lot of energy paddling in,than slow and hard to turn,fair enough it was three foot summer swell but it felt like i was trawling,instead of surfing.give me a litely glassed board with a drivey set of fins any day.you discribed this board as an old reliable ride.for me it was any port in a storm.

Burnsie said...

I subseqeuntly modified this board to a quad - Bruce McKee style, a thruster derived quad with the rear fins inboard.

It is now faster and turns way looser. I must get Sean to try it and post his comments.

Anonymous said...

island style hails from south Africa, i think DT is in Port Elisabeth but I may be mistaken, it could be Durbs..