Saturday, February 02, 2008

Escape SUP


SIZE: 10'10" X 28 1/2" X 4 1/2 by Bill Atlee of Escape


I had been plagued by shoulder problems and was looking for something to have fun with. Ambrose Curry once posted that the secret to a long surfing career was to balance the stresses on the body by mixing it up with different wave crafts. So a SUP seemed a good idea, as I'd already almost drowned on a waveski. Plus it would also let me take the kids in tandem.


I read a fair bit on swaylocks about SUP's paying particular attention to Blaine Chambers of Paddlesurf Hawaii. Some shop owners tried to convince me that only a board around 12' would be stable enough for me at 175lb. Having looked at what was available to me (Jimmy lewis - starbord - Escape and South point) I determined that Escape had the best overall shape . I went with the 10'10". This size suits me perfectly and its really stable. I thing it's really important to get the tail width right for stability in a SUP.


I got a good deal on the board which came with a full length deck grip, leash and a bag. I'm not saying how much but the retailers will have good scope for a discount on these. It's a single fin, i would prefer a 2+1 or quad personally.


Its built like a surftech PVC composite sandwich over polystyrene. This is the only way to go with such a big board, and you can carry it comfortablyon you head to the water. If you drag it down the beach the sand will wear off the paint. Bashing it with the blade as you paddle also chips the paint easily.


I dispensed with the optional carbon paddle which came in about €150 as I couldn't afford it. I made a balsa paddle myself but snapped it. I eventually bought an alloy paddle from Ainsworth paddles it only cost €60 and I'm happy with it. I have heard of people snapping expensive carbon paddles.


Ok so how does it go ? Well first time up I found it really stable paddling once you get used to it. You have to get used to paddling a few strokes each side, nice and long through the tail to keep a straight line, also you must compensate for te wind. In windy conditions they are a lot of work. I reserve it for glassy days.


There is a bit of technique in catching a wave, I half turn the board so I can paddle for the wave without having to change sides with the paddle. When the wave comes under you it gets really unstable. I find it easy to drop low or walk back a bit at that stage. With the weight of the board it is slow coming off the wave, but retains speed easily. You really need tha paddle to surf these boards and there is a bit of technique to using the paddle to assist you turns. I have a paddling background so I find this bit easy.


In summary they are loads of fun. But they are not very manouvreable, so I never use it around people. I will certainly try surf bigger waves on it, as it's such a different experience. My 4 year old loves a spin on it as does my dog! I am really looking forward to next summer, flat or not.



Rating: 4/5 good value and great shape but I feel a 2+1 option with more durable paint would help

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Matt Furey (mattfurey.com) had shoulder problems but a chest expander (lifelineusa.com) made them disappear.