Wednesday, October 03, 2007

6'6" Campbell Bros Bonzer egg


Size: 6'6" X 20 X 2 5/8

I had waited almost 12 months for this board, and the final bill came to over €800 euro. I had no doubt that it was going to be worth it. A custom board from Malcom Campbell. I discussed the board with Malcom on the phone as he was preparing to shape, and he was going to make some changes to suit me.

When I got the board I was surprised by the volume, I reall expected something thinner, as there is quite a bit o thickness in the nose and the rail are quite boxy.
I needn't have worried, the board paddles like a dream and with a relaxed nose rocker catches waves easily. I asked for a bit more tail rocker this improves my ability to complete top turns but you pay a bit of a price in loss of drive. This is never a problem for me on a Bonzer and so the trade off was worth it. I am really blasting off those top turns now, even in smaller waves with this board. The volume however makes it a bit of a challenge to duck dive.

To sum up, I love this board, it has more range than I expected and is rock solid in hollow waves.


Rating: 5/5

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Burnsie, Thanks for the reviews, very interesting. Could you compare the two Bonzers eggs, the 7'6" and the 6'6"? Which conditions, waves size, type of wave, etc do you prefer each board? How tall / much do you weigh to get an idea on relative float and paddleability of the boards.

Burnsie said...

Interesting question. I'm around 12st / 5'8".

Both boards like any wave that has a decent wall, but not fat. Thats a particular requirement of the bonzer. For me therin lies the crux. Usually waves of quality are bigger and the 7'6" is easier to get into those waves. I find the 6'6" a bit of a struggle trying to get into bigger waves. There is definitely an extra drag effect going on with a bonzer.

I have had some great surfs on the 6'6" in the right waves but I have often found I'm undergunned on it or struggling to compete with younger guys for waves. It's not a versatile board for all conditions, there are better options out there - more of that in a few weeks. But if you have a decent shaped wave its a blast. The 7'6" is alot more versatile as the extra float makes up for the drag effect.

The 6'6" is a barrell machine though.

Anonymous said...

Graet site Burnsie.

I'm early 40's weigh 98kilos and ride standard 6'2 - 6'4 shorties on aussie beachies and points. I have a 7 ft board i love for big or cruisy days ut its a bit of a dog to turn, looking at a 6'10 Bonzer Egg for all types of surf, but I'm think 6'10 might be to big but after reading you comments on getting into larger waves and drag I'm think 6'10 might be righ on. thoughts?

Anonymous said...

Hey mate looking at a 6'8 or 6'10 in the same model. I surf standard short boards as well but want a board for summer in australia for fun but something that I can surf power in (4-6+ft). Your commnets are interesting around getting into waves as if I was going to surf a board like this I'd want to ctach everything pretty much. I'm fit 43, 97kgs and surf 3 times a week. 6'8 or 6'10 (want to alos cut back and drie off bottom) Cheers