Thursday, October 04, 2007

6'11" Circle One Funboard


Size: 6'11" X 21" x 2 1/2"


This board is a chineese import. Its Epoxy over eps. Pretty heavy for an epoxy board. It comes with a thruster fin setup using the Taiwanese DFS system. While the deck remained free from dents the paint did tend to chip if dropped. Saying that a traditional glass board would have sustained a big ding with the same impact.


Though I bought this board for the kids I enjoyed riding it myself. It caught waves well and turned pretty good too. The rocker in the board is quite relaxed and apart from the swallow tail it look a bit like a modern egg shape.


It would make a good first sub 7 board for someone coming from a bigger board. Not high performance by any means, but if your just starting to make some turns, at the price it will serve you well. On the other hand you will probably start to find limitations in terms of making faster snappier turns after a year or so if you are pushing your surfing. Its also a good idea to ditch the cheap plastic fins if you seek better performance and invest in a good set of glass fins.


This board is good value and surfs well for its shape.



Rating: 3/5

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey, just thought I'd ask a quick question. I see you mention in several of your reviews that you swapped the plastic fins that came with the board for a better set? I'm a relative beginner and recently got a new board, my second. The board is a 7'6" Westbay Hybrid, and came with the aforementioned plastic fins (FCS type).
Do you think I'd notice a difference at my level with a set of decent fins? Can you explain this? Any what would you recommend for this type of board and my weight (165lbs)?
Thanks for taking the time to answer. Love the blog, hope there's more coming soon.

Burnsie said...

If you can turn the board you will notice the difference. Going down the line it will be much the same.