Friday, October 05, 2007

6'6" Sam Du Feu Fish


Size: 6'6" X 21 X 2 3/4



This board is advertised on the website as a traditional Fish. Imho the shape is not really that traditional. It has a narower nose and tail than the Standard Steve Lis Template. The board came with a pair of FCS TF-1 Carbon fins set in FCS plugs.


First impressions were that while it caught waves easily, it felt a bit sluggish. Turns were quite pivoty with little drive. I had a pair of handmade 8.5" X 5" hand made keel fins with FCS tabs, so I decided to try them. This made a huge difference, the board had a lot more projection out of turns and felt a lot more positive. I stuck with the keels and had some really great surfs on this board.


Unfortunately 2 fcs plugs were unable to cope with the power of the keel fins and a plug got ripped out in hollow conditions. This board has many similarities with the Rusty round nose fish in terms of template and I have a feeling that it would really fly as a quad. In fact I copied the template before I sold it.


So a thumbs up for this board with keel fins.


Rating: 4/5

No comments: