Wednesday, January 07, 2009

6'8" McCoy Nugget



Size: 6'8" X 21 1/4 X 3 1/8"

I had heard some very good things about Geoff McCoys nuggets over the years. Coming from Australia they are difficult to come by in Europe and the U.S. The one thing that struck me was that nugget owners were absolute converts to the shape. When www.downthelinesurf.co.uk got a batch of nuggets in I was intrigued enough to fork out a substantial sum for one. At the time I was happy that my Bonzers gave me what I needed in walling and hollow conditions and my fish fitted the bill perfectly for fat but well shaped waves. However most of my surfing is done in onshore or less than perfect conditions and I felt that there was a substantial gap in my quiver. As you can see I have tried lots of boards to fill this gap.


I e-mailed Geoff for a recommendation on size and he suggested a 6’6” for my 78Kg.

Unfortunately the 6’6” sold out in a few days and the closest I could get was a 6’8”.

The board is 6’8” X 21 ¼ X 3 1/8. Downthelinesurf provided a good service and in a couple of days it was shipped over safe and sound. When I opened the box I was shocked. The tail on this board is MASSIVE like nothing I had ever seen before. I was truly shocked. The board is a lovely clean shape, perfect glass job and spray. The fins are white glassed on. The board is quite heavy, I don’t know the glass schedule, I imagine 6+6+6. I guess the foam is Australian, Bennett or Burford. It’s a heavier pour and incredibly ding resistant. Bottom contours are very different, there is significant roll through the entry rocker slackening off to a flat planning area under your front foot leading into the fins with significant roll through the fins and off the tail. This is the McCoy Loaded Dome. Totally neutral and forgiving performance.

The first night I took it down to the beach it was 1-2ft onshore crap and crowded. At first I couldn’t even sit on the board, there was so much float I kept falling off. I kept looking at the tail and think how can I turn this board with all that width. The first couple of crappy little waves it felt downright weird. I was in the midst of a bunch of groms who were paddling for everything. Eventually a half decent wave came through. I picked it up before the groms in a couple of strokes. It started to shape up a bit and I pumped down the line for more speed, the wave shaped up and developed a nice little pocket. Three big backhand snaps later I was halfway across the bay. When I paddled back out the groms were silenced jaws agape. Definitely the wave of the night. The board did everything I wanted to do with no resistance or tracking in any way.

Four months later I have ridden it at least 50 times from 1ft onshore beachies to head and a half reefs. It handles everything you can throw at it, even better it is totally forgiving in the way it surfs. You can pop up too far forward and still make the drop, when the waves get fat you can trim from the flat spot in the middle. It will do anything in terms of performance you want to do, I am certainly not capable of finding the limits of this board. Floaters, re-entries, off the lips, cutbacks it handles them all with absolute control. The first few re-entries were a little sketchy as I wasn’t keeping my back foot over the fins, But the nugget cured that bad habit very quickly.

I was initially sceptical about all the foam in these boards, but it actually helps you surf better and is no hinderance. It has taken 10 years off my surfing. Paddling is no longer ever an issue and the session is all about the manoeuvres. At my local I’m out paddling groms and longboarders! I was a little iffy about duck diving as I surf big onshore beach breaks all winter with wall after wall of white water. Well I needn’t have worried. The truth is, you get out the back faster because between the sets you can cover more ground. I do is what I call a bear dive! A duck dive followed by a bear hug. It works.

To sum it up, this board is magic I should really start a new rating because this board is completely off the scale. The best all around board I have ever ridden absolutely amazing. Open you mind and improve your surfing tenfold, buy a genuine Nugget if you can get one. I have a custom 6’2” stumpy model on the way shortly from Geoff.

Rating: 5/5 Outstanding far better than I could ever possibly explain in words.


16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

Thanks a lot for your great reviews, I have learnt a lot.
I am a newbie from Hong Kong. I have been riding on my 7'6" mini-mal for about 4-5 months (I started surfing back in Jul 08), feeling good on it except in some days when the swell became too big and a bit harsh for me to paddle out (my turtle-turn doesn't work so well.......). But there are some major dings that are rather hard to repair.

Lately, I am thinking of getting a shorter board for easier duckdive and easier to make turns. I have been hearing that McCoy is easy to paddle and catch wave, but is it durable as well? I am targeting a 6 foot plus fish (watercooled) or a McCoy nugget. Do you think McCoy is even better than a big fish for a newbie? Otherwise do you have other recommendations?

Thanks a lot.

P.S. I am 5'6 & weigh 145 lbs

Anonymous said...

Hey,

I am thinking of getting the 7 footer since I weigh 93kg. Are you using a single fin or tri fin?

thanks
Ron

Burnsie said...

Desmond,

The nugget is not the easiest board to duckdive. Perhaps a 7' X 2 1/2 big guy board would suit those bigger swells for you. Yes the nugget is very durable.

Ron,

I ride it as a thruster

Batlle said...

Love your review. I'm from Florida. I had a 6'6" interchange McCoy Nugget surftech and it was the best board I have ever had. If my car hadn't broken down a week ago. I have to wait a couple or more months to save up the money, but I'm getting a real handmade poly custom McCoy Nugget. It is just the funnest board and the funnest sessions I have ever had. If the surftech went unreal, then the real thing has to be mind blowing. I am so impatient, but I know it will be worth it. I'm quite jealous of you man, but in a good way, I'm happy for you : )
Nestor.

Burnsie said...

Nestor - I just took delivery of a 6'2" Mccoy stumpy nugget, it was a custom order and I had a 4/5 month wait. It's mindblowing. I'll post a review in a couple of months. Just to say that it's Exceptionally high performance but forgiving also.

Anonymous said...

I would suggest anyone who are going to get a McCoy should call Geoff directly and get a custom, and stick with single fin and expect your surf to improve..!

P.S. i own 3 McCoy 8'x 20" 1/2 x 3" single fin, 6'3 x 19" 3/4 x 2 7/8" all-rounder thruster, and a 5'11 x 20" 1/2 x 3" pulled-in-nose small wave ripper.. i am 6'2 and 75kg..

markyd said...

Any update on the 6' 2" Stumpy? Looking to have a board made by McCoy and keen for your review and why you went with this model.
Thanks
MArk

Anonymous said...

I just stumbled across your review and had to tell you that I feel exactly the same way as you do about the Nugget.
Just far and away the best boards I've ever ridden.
Geoff McCoy is a Genius.

Unknown said...

I decided to go shorter while I can (45, 85 kgs, 35 years surfing)...I rode 2x 9'1 hp longboards, pu.
I got the last 6'6 surftech McCoy Nugget in NZ.
It is everything you say they are. Easy to paddle, good in lots of conditions, turn and drive and hold on a late drop with easy to catch waves-ability.
McCoy knows his stuff and I like the surftech after years of nursing pu boards the epoxy feels very durable, quite corky but in a good way. The volume definitely allows for going shorter without sacrificing paddling and wave count.
Sold all my other boards.

Anonymous said...

The 6'8 is definately a piece of magic! Geoff's boards make surfing fun! Stumpy, Pot Belly, All Rounder, Big Guy Nugget, Guns, they are so dependably and usable in all conditions! If you want to catch waves and turn and fly, seriously add a hand shaped Nugget to your quiver. (A huge fan)

Unknown said...

So I emailed McCoy with Nugget feedback. Geoff personally emailed me back! Gave me some advice re. back foot placement and some encouragement, knowing that the decision I took was a calculated risk (that paid off).
Awe.

Anonymous said...

How would you compare the nugget to your old 7'6" bonzer egg? Different philosophies obviously. One easier to duck dive than the other? (could you duck dive your 7'6"?) Thanks for the reviews. Well written and insightful.

Cheers,

Doug

Anonymous said...

Owbed a 6'6 surftech and just bought a 7ft 21.5" x 3.25" single fin nugget - and have to say its an absolutely awesome board ! paddles almost as well as my longboards and my wave count is awesome . You simply dont notice the extra foam in the board - i can duckdive it kind of . The gullwing fin compliments it well - it seems very loose , yet at the same time always seems locked to the wave face . If you are reading this and are unsure as to buy one or not i would say DO IT - unless i buy a longboard all my other boards in the future will be nuggets - its that simple . Best all round board i have ever owned - and if it could nose ride i would sell all my longboards in a heartbeat!

Howard Spry said...

Nestor - I am thinking of buying a 6'8" interchange nugget because I am moving from a McCoy gun (bought a 7' gun that would suit a smaller guy as a proxy for a high volume short board for me at 94kg - has done thr trick for a long time, but age is slowly catching up with me). I like that the interchange seems to be between a more traditional shape and the all round nugget with all the McCoy design features. Can you tell me more about surfing the interchange nugget? Do you think it is better to just go for the all rounder?
Thx

wazza said...

Thought i would add my 2Cents worth .....
I am a 47 year old 90Kg male who surfed extensively up to my late 20,s on a McCoy tri-Zap , Laser -Zap and Nirvana trhuster when family life and work took over.
I started to surf again over the last few years on 8ft 6 Hot Buttered mal thinking it would suit my needs and out of form -ability and fitness in which it has done until last week !!!

I was trawling through the local trading post to pass time at the doctors when i came across a McCoy Nugget for sale and my interest-memories started to go through the roof of the OLD days came back working at Bowteells garage and spending time with the team at Avoca Beach (AU) at the MCcoy factory after a hot surf at Avoca shark tower ,,,Ahhhh those were the days. Well after some background research and talking with Geoff i made the decision to buy the second hand board ,however to my surprise it sold at only a few hundred cheaper than a new board would cost and it had a repair job as well .

The decision was now made for me (the wife said ok  ) “ i must get a new McCoy Nugget “and the search was on for the best deal !!!!

I am now the proud owner of a 6”10 x 21 ¼ x x3” 3 x FCS Fin Nugget with my 1st ride in sloppy 2 foot waves this week

How does it ride compared to the mal i hear you say ??

Well
The paddling is so easy and very similar to my mal if not the same
Duck diving is better/ easier than trying to duck dive on a mall
The 1st few waves did take a little getting used to especially coming from the Mal and not have ridden a short board for years .
After 30 minutes i was in my glory , this old fart was now seemingly snapping of the top of the messy waves , cutting back into the waves with speed and ease and me smile like a big old sugar daddy !!

My personal experience is based on coming from the Mal and that fact that i am more a back foot surfer that helps when riding this types of board

I am very happy to say the least , will update again after riding better –bigger waves
100% recommended at this stage (10-01-14)

wazza said...

Thought i would add my 2Cents worth .....
I am a 47 year old 90Kg male who surfed extensively up to my late 20,s on a McCoy tri-Zap , Laser -Zap and Nirvana trhuster when family life and work took over.
I started to surf again over the last few years on 8ft 6 Hot Buttered mal thinking it would suit my needs and out of form -ability and fitness in which it has done until last week !!!

I was trawling through the local trading post to pass time at the doctors when i came across a McCoy Nugget for sale and my interest-memories started to go through the roof of the OLD days came back working at Bowteells garage and spending time with the team at Avoca Beach (AU) at the MCcoy factory after a hot surf at Avoca shark tower ,,,Ahhhh those were the days. Well after some background research and talking with Geoff i made the decision to buy the second hand board ,however to my surprise it sold at only a few hundred cheaper than a new board would cost and it had a repair job as well .

The decision was now made for me (the wife said ok  ) “ i must get a new McCoy Nugget “and the search was on for the best deal !!!!

I am now the proud owner of a 6”10 x 21 ¼ x x3” 3 x FCS Fin Nugget with my 1st ride in sloppy 2 foot waves this week

How does it ride compared to the mal i hear you say ??

Well
The paddling is so easy and very similar to my mal if not the same
Duck diving is better/ easier than trying to duck dive on a mall
The 1st few waves did take a little getting used to especially coming from the Mal and not have ridden a short board for years .
After 30 minutes i was in my glory , this old fart was now seemingly snapping of the top of the messy waves , cutting back into the waves with speed and ease and me smile like a big old sugar daddy !!

My personal experience is based on coming from the Mal and that fact that i am more a back foot surfer that helps when riding this types of board

I am very happy to say the least , will update again after riding better –bigger waves
100% recommended at this stage (10-01-14)