Saturday, May 23, 2009

Takayama DT-1 9'2"X22X2 7/8"




I bought this board for the big winter swell at a local beach, you have to catch the waves a long way out the back when they are fat and be in position as it hits the outside sand bar then pull out before it hits the inside bar and closes out. The first day I tried this board it was close to double over head, I stroked into the first wave and popped up as it jacked up. The drop felt so smoooth and controlled, this board was made for big waves and it handles them with ease.

The board comes with a 2+1 fin set up and I found it easy to pump the board for speed. You can also go pretty vertical on this board, and I layed down one of my best ever square bottom turns into a vertical re-entry on her.

When you have buckets of speed it noserides well on a hollow wall. I managed some solid hang 10's in vertical head high + faces.

In small waves it is a bit sluggish, and I would not consider it a general purpose longboard, there are better options out there. But if you have a quiver of longboards and you want a big wave board, then this is the one.

It is built quite heavy which is good for big waves and strong offshores as it maintains it's momentum once at paddling speed.

All in all a lovely big wave board.

Rating: 5/5 I does exactly what it says on the tin, handles size with control and agility

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I inclination not acquiesce in on it. I over nice post. Especially the title attracted me to review the whole story.

Huck said...

Love to see a side view showing the rocker on this board.

Anything special about the bottom (concave, V, etc.), or is it a flat bottom?

Richard said...

nice board. i am trying to get a similar shape. what are the nose and tail dimensions.

Richard said...

nice board. i am trying to get a similar shape. what are the nose and tail dimensions.

Burnsie said...

Sorry folks the board is long gone and I never took dimensions.