Friday, October 12, 2012

6'4" McCoy Nugget

6'4" X 20 1/2 X 3. This was an old 1996 nugget I picked up, it had the  Formula 1 loaded dome sticker. Its a thruster with glass on fins. I really liked this board it surfed great turned smooth, faster than the 6'8 nugget and had lots of drive. It had loads of rocker and so could handle anything you throw at it. It probably surfs closer to a regular shortboard than the more modern nuggets. However it is not as forgiving or as easy to surf as the more modern version and you probably would need to work a little harder on it.  The one thing I found and its probably common to all nuggets is that in a very fast breaking wave when a regular shortboarder pumps down the line like a raving rabbit to make the wave. I found with this nugget that it didnt react to pumps fast enough to do this as well as I wanted.
Durability, what can I say, 16 years old and the only ding was when It got hit by a golf ball crossing  the dunes in Dougmore after my first surf on it. I had such a big shit eating grin after that session, I couldn't even get cross.

Rating 4/5. Pick one up if you get the opportunity

No comments: