Friday, October 12, 2012

6'2" Firewire Kingfish

6'2" x 21 1/2" x 2 3/4"     VOLUME: 41.3. I picked up this board because I missed having a twin keel fish in my quiver. This one is FST technology, basically a PVC foam sandwich composite board with Balsa rails and probably 1lb EPS core as it has a vent. The fin setup is standard twin keel fins but unusally with only 2 fcs plugs which seem to hold the fins fine. I like fish for fast down the line waves where you don't turn too much. Those big swallow tails really resist turning unless the board is tiny for you. In a down the line wave I like a shortboard and the big keel fins of a fish tap into the power of the wave creating incredible speed. The rails on this are pretty thin in order to make the make the balsa rails flex enough. The board is pretty light probably close to a standard construction PU shortboard. It seems pretty durable, had a couple of small dings which I fixed immediately using epoxy. If you ding one of these in the water, get out immediately, it will suck the water in and destroy the board pretty quickly. very few compressions on teh deck a couple of years on.

My first go on this board it felt funny, so much volume up front very different to the pavel trad fish when paddling. When I took off it really flew, very very fast. As i'm an active surfer and I will pump the board and drive it rail to rail, I really liked this board and will definitely keep it as part of my quiver.

Rating 5/5 does exactly what a twin keel should do, only better!

1 comment:

Perscado Frito said...

GOOD and helpful comment to the Kingfish, The FUTURES FINS RASTA keel works ok in this model?
Regards
Raul