Friday, October 12, 2012

6'2" McCoy Stumpy

This board is 6'2" X 20 1/4 X 3. It's a stumpy nugget, the blurb says made for high performance surfing. On holiday in Biarritz in France, I surfed one day with a guy in shoulder high waves who was tearing he place apart, not a normal choppy agressive shortboard style but smooth and fast and fitting in an amazing amount of turns. That was my first time seeing that and immediately I knew that style was my goal, though that lad was 20 years younger than me. I ordered this board after an exchange of e-mails with Geoff. The 6 months wait to get it via the UK was a killer, and it cost me a packet.

When it arrived It was just gorgeous with this massive tail and glassed on thrusters. I spent a lot of time riding this board as my main driver, at least a year and to be honest I could never get it to deliver the goods. It paddled great but was very unstable on the pop up. It did manage to deliver flashes of brilliance in fast turns in small spaces but only when the wave was smallish and quite sucky/walling. I would not rate this as an all round board I think its very much a niche board for very clean waves.

As a comparison I have a 6'0 Zot and a home build 6'2" laser zap I would rate them both way faster looser and more radical than the Stumpy - Sorry Geoff!

Board build as you would expect is next to none. When I passed it on there were very few marks after a lot of use.

Rating 3.5/5

No comments: